On January 1, 1936 an explosion shook the entire village when the Spencer Fireworks Plant became engulfed in fire. Two entire buildings and their contents were completely destroyed. The incident aroused the village to take action to protect life and property against fire.
As a result of the Spencer Fireworks fire, a resolution was passed by the Village Council on May 6th, 1936 to organize its first Fire Department. By May 26th of the same year, thirteen men had volunteered to organize the department and equip the community with the ability to fight fires. The first fire truck was a 1924 Model A Ford run about chassis which the village purchased on November 28, 1935. This was equipped with chemical tanks and stored in a shed on village property along side the hardware store. Later the tanks were transferred to a 1930 Model A Ford truck. For a few years the department was under the direction of the city council. On March 5, 1941 it was reorganized and Stanley Miller was appointed chief.
In 1946 a new firehouse was built to house the new 1946 Dodge truck which was bought on March 21, 1946. A 1949 Chevrolet truck was added in 1951. The department bought it's first emergency ambulance in 1956 which was a 1947 Cadillac. A 1949 Dodge pumper was added in 1959 and in 1963 they bought a 1953 Jeep to fight grass fires. A new Ford truck was purchased in 1967 and the auxiliary helped the department buy a newer emergency ambulance which was a 1959 Pontiac.
The ladies auxiliary was organized in 1959 with twelve members. The auxiliary has bought equipment for the department and assisted several families who lost their belongings by fire.